Monday, November 30, 2009

Kitchen Makeover #3

New Light Fixtures on left. I paid $6.00 each at Lowe's on clearance.

After taking down a very large ceiling fan, we realized that the hole was bigger than the the new light fixture base. We solved the problem with a $6.98 medallion.

This is a look at the new light fixtures hanging. Notice how the ceiling has a glow from the new paint.

Stay tuned for the changes that are coming!

Kitchen Makeover #2 Paint

Lets start with the paint. I used a semi-gloss latex on the ceiling, walls and the inside of the cabinets. I must say that I never used a semi-gloss on the ceiling, It was the husband's idea. I was surprised that I liked it a lot. I love the slight reflections that comes off the ceiling. The paint color is called Crumb Cookie.

The paint was purchased from Lowe's for $15.35

The darker color is the original color of the kitchen.
Original light fixtures.

The inside and out side of the cabinets were primed first with a grey primer so that the coats would take well. I only needed to do 2 coats.

Sunday, November 29, 2009

Kitchen Makeover #1

This is the original kitchen ad from when we bought the house. Everything was white and neutral tones. It didn't look bad at all. There just was no color or pop. Life seemed a little bland.
In the next chronicles you will see changes in the walls, cabinets, and light fixtures.

Stay Tuned!

Saturday, November 28, 2009

Master Bathroom Makeover #6 Finished

When we first started the bathroom, it only had 2 light fixtures. We added the one in the middle from an existing bathroom. They were gold. We spray painted them a hammered black color.

The walls were painted with a antique white color, which is not a white at all to me. It came out to be a warm butter yellow color. It turned out really pretty.
The shower area. We re caulked the whole shower area and doors.
Toilet area
We found these faucets at a discount home improvement store for $64. We saw similar faucets at another store for $129. I think we got a great bargain on these.

View of the finished sinks and bump out.

We used white ceramic tiles for the the top part of the bump out. It created a nice shelf area for accessories. We used a premixed grout/adhesive to lay the tiles.
Notice the wall. Remember that this is the antique white that I was talking about.

Total job cost for the bathroom was approximately $1,222, we saved ourselves $3,000 doing the hard work ourselves. This was our first time laying a ceramic tile floor and we did ok. We did get on the internet and did some research on the project. Don't be afraid the think outside of the box. The wet saw that we used to cut the floor tile and the white ceramic tile used on the bump out was the best investment. It was truly a life saver!

Friday, November 27, 2009

Master Bathroom Makeover #5

We put these vents in behind the sink for air flow. This also allows us to have access to the pipes if we ever need to.

We use panel beadboard on the bump out.

Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Master Bath Makeover #4

This is the sink area. We had to make a bump out for the pipes that are coming up through the floor. This is also an exterior wall. The wood on the wall is 2x4's. Then we screwes 2x8's to the 2x4's.

Notice, we put plastic bags over the opening of the pipes to keep the gnats at bay.
View of second sink area.
Second sink placement.

Putting the sinks together so that the wall can be marked for permanet placement of the sinks.

Stay Tuned!

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Master Bath Makeover #3

This is what the floor looked like with the spacers in it. The floor was allowed to set for 24 hours before the grout.

This is the floor grouted. The plumbing is set up for two face bowls.

This is the view towards the shower. The linen closet is the door on the left.

Toilet area. Shower is on the right.
Tub is in the foreground.

This is looking into the closet.

Finished floor without baseboards.

Finished floor looking towards the sinks.

Looking towards sinks.

Toilet area.

Finished floor in closet.

Finished floor in closet.